My small collection of my favorite 404 and error messages on the web, from mostly big sites. Some are humorous, some are quirky, and I think they are all great. No one is perfect.
Top web site error pages - my favorites.
1) barrackobama.com - simple, to the point, diffusing.
2) Plaxo.com - (oops! There seems to be a problem. I’ll tell you what… let us fix it and this can be our little secret.) humorous
3) crowdspring.com - (our servers are currently fighting among themselves and we’re putting them into a timeout.) - if you have kids you will appreciate this.
4) youtube.com - (“The functionality is not available… Be cool - we’ll be back 100% in a bit.”) - I like the slang
5) Witter error - before the whale
6) Google apps error - not funny, not cool… common google, you can be fun too!
7) suumbleupon.com error - (“we’ll be right back, in the mean time why dont you go outside and play for a while”) - LOVE this one
8) Facebook error - not funny at all, especially since it happens a lot
9) the now famous twitter whale - simply brilliant
10) technorati.com error (“Doh! The Technorati Monster escaped again.”) - good one